Thursday, January 23, 2014

The Secret of Buttermilk



Hi, you've probably already read the title “Cakes and Culture”. This is a blog about my life and those words can perfectly describe most of it. I have traveled around the world and love culture and food. I think of my life like flour and sugar; you can make almost anything of it and you want as much influence and experience as possible. That explains culture, but not cakes. Baking is my creative outlet. I somehow never seem to mess it up and can throw myself into the process and forget about my problems. (It’s also one of the only things that I can do well as far as artistic ability).  
I have been baking my whole life. However, I want to make this about me and give advice to everyone else about what I've learned. Here we go. A few years ago my mom taught me this cool trick that makes cupcakes and cakes taste awesome without all the time and work. Many cake box-mixes taste awful, but homemade ones take too much time or the ingredients are hard to obtain and work with. The secret is buttermilk or sour milk. You can make sour milk by adding one tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice to a cup of milk and letting it sit for a few hours. By using a box mix and substituting buttermilk or sour milk instead of regular milk, your cake will taste awesome and homemade. The conversion is 1 cup to 1 cup for both. It’s so easy to do!





7 comments:

  1. Awesome! Substituting buttermilk or sour milk for regular milk seems like a really cool trick. I'll be sure to try it out sometime soon. Do you know why using buttermilk or sour milk instead of regular milk works better? Delicious cakes are wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your trick. Personally, I have never tried baking like that, but with your tip, I think that I am going to try it. Sour milk is something I would have never tried. I can see that you enjoy baking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not much of a baker, but I have been making pies and cakes recently. I will make sure to try this cool trick. Is there any particular kind of cupcake, cake, pie, ext. that this works better on?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is very interesting. If I ever get around to learning how to bake, I will definitely try this trick. Maybe I'll try soon, if I have time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Coming from me the "i don't know anything about baking" kind says why would you put something sour in something you want to be sweet? And why do they call it buttermilk if it doesn't taste like butter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wait, are buttermilk and sour milk the same thing? It sounds yummy, but when you think about it that is kind of gross.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!! I have never baked cakes from scratch but I guess I should try. So just to make sure buttermilk not regular milk. Why buttermilk not regular milk? How about frosting does it work the same?

    ReplyDelete